Friday, February 20, 2009

What do I want to be when I grow up

How can it be that I am 26 years old and still can't figure it out? I used to laugh at my sister who changed her major 4 times while in college. I have switched mine at least twice as many times. I started off in Pre-Veterinary Medicine; do you know that an Earth Worm has like 300 parts? Yeah, true. When will I ever need to know that? I got frustrated with my Zoology class and bailed. Then it was Business, I was going to be high powered and rich and famous, then I realized I hate business. I am not underhanded enough for it, no offense. So then it was on to computer programming, which I LOVED until I actually had to program. There is a reason those guys get paid well. So then I considered Graphic Arts, but I can't draw. So after a lot of time and A LOT of research I decided to pursue nursing. I took Human Anatomy and Physiology last semester and I LOVED IT! It was the most interesting and exciting thing I have ever learned. I find myself in conversations being a total kill joy, someone complains about something going on with their body and I go into a way too in depth explanation of how that body part works. lol.

Well, the problem is the more research I do into what specialty I want to go into the more restricted I feel. I feel like nursing is only half of what I want. The fields I am interested in are Oncology, Neurology, and Fertility. I am now interested in Fertility, Neurology comes easy to me, and all my family has died of Cancer. Now I can go for a WHNP or WHCNP but I feel like those don't really give me the freedom to do what I want. I want to help people have babies, I want to be there when they finally conceive, I want to do the ultrasounds and I want to be there when they deliver, and neither of those paths allows me to do that. I could be a CNM but I don't feel like I would be the right person for that. I don't want to do home births, or holistic births, and I have nothing against pain killers.

So.. I have been spending the last few days on the student doctor forums. This has only served to depress me more. I have my Fiancé; we are going to be trying to conceive before the end of the year. I feel like going to med school and having a family is not going to work. I keep reading about how you can have a family and go through Med School. You can get Average grades and still have a couple hours on the weekend and maybe an hour a night with your family. I just can't come to terms with that.

Can I be happy with half a career? I know I could not be happy with half a family.

2 comments:

  1. I would suggest Family NP then you can specialize. I have a fellow NP friend who graduated with me and she went straight into Oncology and is making really good money and has some great hours. If you are interested in delivering babies, go with CNM. You don't have to deliver at home, and you can use pain killers for your patients depending on which state you work in. Thanks for the link to my NP site and would love for a link to my other one too. www.npplace.com.. I'll put a link to yours as well. You might consider putting up some google ads and make some change when people click on them. I've been doing it for the last three years in order to help pay off my student loans. I worked full time while I was in school and I have four children. NP school is doable. Congrats on your impending marriage! See you!

    ReplyDelete